Montreal Math Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Montreal Math Club

Mathematics students in Montreal - Étudiants de mathématiques à Montréal

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hi, I'm Mitch

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mitch
Pythagoras
Pythagoras

Hi, I'm Mitch Empty
PostSubject: Hi, I'm Mitch   Hi, I'm Mitch EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 1:19 am

Hey guys, I'm Mitch,

I enjoy long walks on the beach and nice candle lit dinners... tongue

But seriously, I'm a 2nd year actuarial math student at concordia. My main math interests vary from time to time but right now I've become interested in measure theory and stochastic calculus. For those of you who don't know what that is (stochastic calculus) and are interested in finding out, let me know, and maybe I'll give a talk about it at some point for the math club...But if no one cares, then I wouldn't want to bore you all.

Other than that, I enjoy hockey and going out for a beer. You can probably find my at Reggie's after Complex Analysis on Thursday nights. So if you ever wanna talk math, hockey or just talk about life in general, you know where to find me!
Back to top Go down
Bruno
Admin
Bruno

Location : the infinite, frictionless plane of uniform density

Hi, I'm Mitch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi, I'm Mitch   Hi, I'm Mitch EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 12:02 am

Hello Mitch afro

I'd like to learn measure theory eventually. What book are you reading?

Can we count on you to get people to join this place? Smile

I'll definitely be hanging out at Reggie's too after Complex Analysis! Maybe not every week but as often as required.
Back to top Go down
https://mathclub.forumotion.com
Mitch
Pythagoras
Pythagoras

Hi, I'm Mitch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi, I'm Mitch   Hi, I'm Mitch EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 12:24 pm

Right now I'm using the textbook "Real Analysis" by Royden. It is the book that concordia uses to teach both measure theory and real analysis. However, I am also supplementing my readings with course notes from various universities, online lectures and the internet in general. The internet is such an amazing place and it has become so easy to find lots of interesting things on it. Most of the measure theory I am learning however (the stuff not in the textbook) is related to eventually developing the notation of stochastic calculus. However, all the texts I'm using go through some quite rigorous presentations of what a measure space is and defining boreal sets, etc. So, they are still good texts.

Anyway, the coolest thing I've come arcoss so far in my measure theory learnings (or at least the coolest thing I can share over the internet without use of mathematical notation) is that the function f(x) = {1 is x is irrational and 0 if x is rational} is not a riemann integrable function. However, using measure theory and the lebesgue integral, we are able to evaluate this integral.

Anyway, the world of measure theory is much more fascinating than this, but it takes a while to explain some of its more profound results. I'm gonna try and get people to join the forum, but its would help if we could use Latex or some other form of math text input so that when we discuss problems, they are comprehensible.

Anyway, I guess I'll see you next week in complex analysis (there's a coop event this week so alas I will have to miss it).
Back to top Go down
Bruno
Admin
Bruno

Location : the infinite, frictionless plane of uniform density

Hi, I'm Mitch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi, I'm Mitch   Hi, I'm Mitch EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 4:02 pm

Hey Mitch!

all of that sounds very nice. I'm going to guess the value of that Lebesgue integral is 1.

That's a good question concerning LaTeX. Unfortunately at the moment it is impossible to implement on this forum, but there is a somewhat roundabout solution to that problem - see the topic to that effect in the suggestions forum.

Cheers!
Bruno
Back to top Go down
https://mathclub.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Hi, I'm Mitch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi, I'm Mitch   Hi, I'm Mitch Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi, I'm Mitch
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Montreal Math Club :: Math Club :: Introduce yourself-