Montreal Math Club

Mathematics students in Montreal - Étudiants de mathématiques à Montréal

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

H3llO EoJJoE

Go down 
AuthorMessage
dynamo
Pythagoras
Pythagoras

PostSubject: H3llO EoJJoE   Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:47 pm

Hi

I am Joe.

I figured I join just for the fun of it.
You will probably not see me on fridays or sundays.
Oh I am a senior in pure and applied. Favorite topic: dynamical systems (continuous and discrete).

I am a prospective astrophysics grad student at McGill. If it's something you like, you can ask me questions about the universe in general, stars and galaxies and I can try to answer you in the best way possible.

Cheers sexy braniacs

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mitch
Pythagoras
Pythagoras

PostSubject: Re: H3llO EoJJoE   Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:54 am

Hey Joe!

Not to stray too far off topic since this is in fact a math forum...But since you mentioned your astrophysics background (or foreground since it's what you are about to go into...) do you much about black holes and Hawking Radiation? If you do, and you ever feel like ranting/explaining/talking about it and need an ear to listen, I would be glad to learn about the subject. In fact, if you ever just want to talk astrophysics, I would be glad to join you in a conversation. Although I can't say I know the subject that well at all (my background would be a single cegep course and a couple hawking books), I find it a fascinating field and love learning new things about it.

Well, let me know, and you should definitely come check out the math club lectures as Bruno really enlightens us with amazing new math each week! (well i guess it's not "new" math since it has been around for a while....but most of us have never seen it before)

As a side note, maybe Bruno (if you read this) can open up a subforum for astrophysics? I think that would be really cool Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bruno
Admin

Location : the infinite, frictionless plane of uniform density

PostSubject: Re: H3llO EoJJoE   Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:58 pm

Hey Joe, thanks for joining! I'd love to learn about dynamical systems if you ever wish to speak about them. It seems like some pretty crazy stuff (in a good sense of course!).

afro

I could open an astrophysics forum but so far we have more forums than posts, so maybe not quite yet! flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mathclub.forumotion.com
dynamo
Pythagoras
Pythagoras

PostSubject: Re: H3llO EoJJoE   Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:28 pm

Mitch wrote:
Hey Joe!

Not to stray too far off topic since this is in fact a math forum...But since you mentioned your astrophysics background (or foreground since it's what you are about to go into...) do you much about black holes and Hawking Radiation? If you do, and you ever feel like ranting/explaining/talking about it and need an ear to listen, I would be glad to learn about the subject. In fact, if you ever just want to talk astrophysics, I would be glad to join you in a conversation. Although I can't say I know the subject that well at all (my background would be a single cegep course and a couple hawking books), I find it a fascinating field and love learning new things about it.

Well, let me know, and you should definitely come check out the math club lectures as Bruno really enlightens us with amazing new math each week! (well i guess it's not "new" math since it has been around for a while....but most of us have never seen it before)

As a side note, maybe Bruno (if you read this) can open up a subforum for astrophysics? I think that would be really cool Smile

cheers

Astrophysics is quite a huge field actually!
Right now I am mostly studying about stars (as in stellar atmosphere, stellar structures)
I have learnt about stellar classification.
I have also learnt how to calculate stellar masses, radii, Temperature, distance, etc..
I have learnt a bit about telescopes.

I really haven't got to blackholes yet (the very late stages of CERTAIN stars). I have preelimanary ideas that I can share though if you want.

As basic tools of astronomy, you also learn about distances (A.U., light-years, parsec: along with their definition).
You learn how to locate a star in the sky given some coordinates (we use different systems of coordinates).

I could go on and on... but that's the kind of thing I am doing now...

farao
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: H3llO EoJJoE   

Back to top Go down

H3llO EoJJoE
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Montreal Math Club :: Math Club :: Introduce yourself-
Jump to: